Song Dynasty Cup/ Bowl?

Started by smak, Mar 01, 2021, 12:10:49

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

Hi All,

I need to confirm if this is Song dynasty. Its being labeled as one but I am not sure. Would this be northern or southern song?

Many Thanks!

smak

Size: 4.9 inch D, 1.5 inch H

peterp

Indeed, it is a Song bowl, apparently from Yaozhou kiln.

smak

Hi Peterp,

Thanks for the reply! Is this more of a tea cup? In terms of collectors value, how desirable is this?

smak

Sorry! Only reason why I asked about collectors value is because, this type of ware is new to me. If its blue and white wares, we can tell based on quality of the art on the porcelain.

What gives these wares collectors value? Or what makes them desirable?

smak

Hah, hope I did okay! I paid $225!

peterp

It is all right to ask about collector's value. However, value may differ depending on the region. Generally said, here in the Far East they are more interested in those pre-Ming monochrome wares than in the West, accordingly more people are likely to collect these. Yaozhou bowls can be fairly expensive depending on condition and decoration. I would advise to keep the labels intact as they are part of provenance; genuine old labels may increase collecting value.

smak

Thanks Peterp! Do you think this is more Southern Song? Or Northern?

Heh Hope I did okay at $245!

Very insightful with demand depending from region to region! Thank you!!

peterp

Not sure if it is Northern Song or Jin, really. (Jin would be the case if it was contemporary to Southern Song, but as it is in China's north, it would have been under Jin rule during the Southern Song dynasty, I think.)

I think I will have to pay more attention to celadon kilns... :)  Currently, I'm more involved with white wares if it comes to that era, apart from Longquan items, which are from farther south.

\
BTW, you seem to be unsure if it is a cup or bowl. This is mostly depending on size and shape, but those early tea drinking wares are usually bowls. A wide mouth diameter to height ratio would make it a bowl, usually.

(I wonder how many people there are nowadays who still know that there were also "bowls" in use for drinking coffee, in the past; at least in Europe.)
\

smak

Thanks peterp! Appreciate it as always!

Glad to hear its a real bowl! Was worried for a second hah. I'm trying to learn how to appreciate Song dynasty wares!

Haha I did not know about the coffee with a bowl either!