Chinese hand painted vase

Started by Stan, Feb 26, 2021, 08:31:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, and all, here is a vase I just acquired at a local Auction house, the quality on this is amazing, looking at the bottom I do not see any age signs, there is a little iridescence in the colors and a little wear in some areas, I am not sure of the age, is it brand new or from the 60's, this is top notch done in the Qianlong style, your thoughts are appreciated, thanks .

Stan

Here are two more photo's to view.

Stan

And here are the last 2 photo's, thanks for looking.

peterp

Hi Stan,

I'm afraid this is not very old. First, as you know, large scale imitating and faking started only in the 80s or 90s. It must be from sometime in between then and now. My personal opinion. That kind of copying has not been going on much before that.
Quality is no problem nowadays. If you visit a jade market here (they do not just sell jades) you will see lots of items that would have been 'imperial' grade in the old times. They just can produce much better quality items than in the old times, with the new materials and modern methods and techniques. Some imperial items with especially laborious, complicated decorations excepted, which would have taken weeks or months to finish. This looks pristine, especially the bottom, and I bet it is the same inside.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I figured as much, it is pretty nice though, I paid $180.00 not bad for this quality I think, I could not find anything like it as far as shape and design, I was told that in the 60's there was a lot of quality items that was made for export is that not true?

peterp

That is possible, but in the sixties all would have been sent to HK and then sold or exported from there.

Stan

Right, The People's republic of China, The Cultural revolution, (1949 - 1976).