Large Unmarked Blue and White Pitcher with lid

Started by ComptonBrosIncBAMF, Mar 19, 2021, 12:38:27

Previous topic - Next topic

ComptonBrosIncBAMF

Good day, I came across this rather large blue and white pitcher at a consignment shop and am hoping to get a more accurate age on the piece.  The pitcher does show signs of aging as the glaze is cracking which leads me to believe it is rather old.  The Lotus flowers have 11 pedals, the banana leaves along the top are clearly hand drawn, and one is even unfinished, I thought maybe the paint came off during the glazing process.  Any information you can provide would be appreciated, I've looked online for something similar, and the only matches I've found in the patterns are very old, especially with this type of glaze.  Thanks for looking and any help you can provide.

imgur.com/iUGEQPq

imgur.com/Cewtvcq

imgur.com/NkHjWD1

imgur.com/zyzPNdk

imgur.com/SGJ522h

imgur.com/WGd0z8B

imgur.com/CRDObiU

peterp

Hello,
I'm afraid what you have is a new item. This means from the last twenty or so years, that if it was Chinese; but this is doubtful.
This is not a Chinese shape, and the decoration has little resemblance to Chinese painting styles, although some elements may be copying Chinese motifs.
There is no such bright pigment in traditional Chinese wares.
The decoration may be hand-painted, or maybe not? If it is, this means not it is old, in China hand-painted decorations are still being made today.
The mouth and base would usually show some production or usage signs, if it is an antique item made with traditional methods.

Not sure what it means with "the glaze is cracking", but if there is crazing/crackling of the vitreous glaze, that happens even with new items and can be induced artificially. Therefore this is not a reliable age sign.

This either not Chinese, newer, or both. The shape bottom, mouth and blue color are not right for any antique item.

ComptonBrosIncBAMF

I have to admit I haven't seen the lip design in old pieces, but at the same time the lip is not proportional which indicates it is a hand shaped piece.  As for the color, I have seen multiple older pieces with the similar blue.....https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auctions/ahlers-ogletree/chinese-blue-white-floral-bowl-xuande-mark-322324  here is an example of one such piece I've seen.  The piece doesn't necessarily have to have signs of use, the cracking is one thing, but how long would the staining take on the bottom of lid provided in the picture?  Appreciate your response

ComptonBrosIncBAMF

Another Example of similar color, and a piece with banana leaves along the stem, similar to those around the mouth.

imgur.com/3ZkDfNd

peterp

To the experienced eye these two are a world apart.
Yours has a slightly different blue tint, and also thick contour lines everywhere. Then the floral decoration is not congruent with common classical decorations of this type. The banana leaves are just a small part of it, and decorations are easily copied.

The item at the last link is called a Yuhu Chunping vase (but it might have been used for liquor). Finely painted it has several features that point to a Ming dynasty style. Please note, the most important feature would be the stylized lotus petal decoration band running around the circumference adjacent to the foot. This is typical for a certain period in the Ming dynasty, but the banana leaves were painted this way from the early Ming dynasty to the 20th century or today.
But this Yuhu Chunping is not an average item. It could only be found in museums, top auctions and a few collections. With a mark and the right age signs it might be imperial ware. Not something that we ever encounter in the open market.

peterp

Im' afraid we cannot even be completely sure if this was hand-painted.
Please note the arrows scribbled on this image. They point to several places where there are breaks in the lines. These are not visible this way in hand-painted porcelain.
What this probably means is that the decoration was at least partially made by transfer. That is the reason why you see hand-painted lines, but this type of line breakages points to the use of a transfer paper. The painting would have made on a paper, which then was applied to the porcelain. Probably only the outlines/contours were made this way, then these were filled by hand using a brush.

A close up inspection using a magnifier would clearly show if this is the case. In China such decoration methods date to the 20th century and later. But with that shape and foot rim it is either more recent or perhaps Chinoiserie.