Ming shipwreck bowl #2

Started by smak, Mar 18, 2021, 06:46:53

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

Hi guys,

I have doubts but need your thoughts! When was this made? Jiajing? Wanlin?

Thanks!

smak

more

smak

more

peterp

The mark seems to be the same auspicious four characters as the other two.
Looks as if it is from a wreck, but I would check the bleaching with a magnifier. If the vitreous glaze is mostly gone, then it may be right. The other two have all white top and foot rims. That is congruent with them being from a wreck.
But the rims of this bowl look as if are not bleached as much, and there is some brownish/yellowish color in the inside.

In the sea, the once the vitreous glaze that is protecting the underglaze blue decoration disappears first, then the decoration slowly  gets bleached. That may go to the extent that an item is almost completely white.
May be there is some good explanation for that, but I would like for similar items. It may not be from a wreck, although the decoration looks like one. It might be from another wreck or just somewhere in the soil, where the glaze was exposed to acidic conditions, perhaps.

Fake bleaching may show lots of tiny little holes in the vitreous glaze, because the glaze was treated with acid. That may result in a look that is similar to ice in winter when salt was sprinkled over it.

Do you have the name of the wreck(s)? If yes, you could try to find pictures online showing the condition of other items from the same. I wonder why there are three items all with the same mark type. Most wreck items were never marked at all as they were made for export.

smak

Thanks Peter! It'll be difficult since its not mine. I have the opportunity to buy it but I passed on it, it looked a bit off I think.