Difference in foot rims on plates

Started by JjGhandi, Dec 28, 2020, 04:56:45

Previous topic - Next topic

JjGhandi

Hello everyone,

There are 2 different sorts of foot rims I've encountered on Chinese plates from the 18th century.
One is a very small one, an almost non-existent rim bending very fast.
One is taller and straighter but still seems to bend although less strongly.

I was wondering why there are these differences.
The ones I own with the small foot rim are smaller, of lesser quality and export wares.
The ones with the high foot rim are bigger, a bit better quality and not certainly export ware.
I have one exception regarding the size difference: a small (11cm) Kangxi deep plate I posted here once.

Also, Peter, you stated the foot rim difference between 18th & 19th century plates (bent & straight).
Unfortunately I don't have 19th century plates and can't find bottom pics in a 45 degree angle.
Is there any chance you would have one at your disposal?

Herewith the pics of foot rim 1.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

JJ

JjGhandi

Herewith foot rim 2

Stan

JjGhandi

Hey Stan,

Yeah, I just wanted to know the difference in foot rims.
Why there are 2 (to my knowledge) different types.
Is it a kiln bound difference? Or period related?

Kind regards,

JJ

peterp

Probably both. The one that has a slanted rim which is unglazed on the outside appears early in the three reigns period, but it is also find again at its end, sometimes even on early Jiaqing export wares. There is also one that shows slanting only on the outside, and one slanted both outside and inside.
We are talking here mostly about plates from Jingdezhen. Those from Dehua kiln are different. They are often wider, lower and rounded, like some Japanese rims.

JjGhandi

Hi Peter,

Great info, thanks a lot!

So the unglazed outside slanted rim (picture 1) isn't likely to be found on late Kangxi, yongzheng and early Qianlong plates?

Kr,

JJ

peterp

What I'm saying is that there are at least three different types of slanted rim in the three-reigns period.  But if the rim is vertical, when a plate is placed upside down, then it is usually a 19th century item or later. Again, we are talking about Jingdezhen kilns, not Dehua. The latter are a different matter.