Kangxi revival cups and saucers

Started by JjGhandi, Dec 26, 2020, 00:41:59

Previous topic - Next topic

JjGhandi

Hello everyone,

As a christmas present for myself I bought 2 cups and saucers.
I assume they're Kangxi recival pieces?

What's the difference between these cups in the Kangi and Kangxi revival period?
How can I place them in the right period?

Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

Kind regards,

JJ

JjGhandi

More pics

JjGhandi

More pics

JjGhandi

Last ones :)

peterp

This looks like a Kangxi era export cup to me, not Guangxu. If it were Kangxi revival there would probably be no Jade character mark in the double ring, or at least it would be relatively rare, but the blue color tone would also more likely have a faint purple tint.
With cups and bowls, etc. it can be difficult to tell, but with dishes, plates and chargers the foot rim is decisive. In the three-reigns period - Kangxi, Yongzheng, Qianlong - and sometimes also in the early Jiaqing reign, the foot rim would be slanted inward on the outside. Some would be slanted both on the inside and outside. On 19th century items the foot rim is straight up.

JjGhandi

Hi Peter,

Great advise, thanks a lot!
These cups are rather small.
I've read somewhere that teacups grew larger over time due to the price of tea going down and more tea could be drank in one sitting.
I don't know if this is also the case for export ware but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Kangxi, that's even better than I thought! :)

Kind regards,

JJ

peterp

That may be true for Europe, in China this is unrelated. Actually, such cup shapes appeared relatively late in China. Chinese tea drinking culture was and still is different. :)
Liquor cups often look similar to tea cups, but are smaller.

JjGhandi

Great info Peter, thanks!

Kind regards,

JJ