Very fine egg shell vase

Started by Stan, Jul 19, 2014, 08:54:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I have a pair of these vases, they are mirror images, so I am showing one of them, these are very high quality and all hand painted, I would say they are republic period, but I have never seen this mark before, could you tell me what the mark is and it looks like there is a cyclical date but not sure, your expertise is appreciated  thanks. BTW these came from a collection that I purchased at a local auction, there was a zitan wood box that sold for $5000.00 lucky for me that there was not so many bidding on these. I have a lot of photo's to post of the vase. Thanks Peter.

Stan

Here is more Photo's of the vase.

Stan

Here is more photo's to look at.

Stan

Last set of photo's to evaluate.

peterp

Signed: Wan Yunyan
Year given: 1929

I cannot tell if this is genuine or a copy of the artist.

shelley Kong

Peter,
Do the painting style of the faces and the colour correspond to 1929?
Thanks,
Shelley

peterp

I am not that sure about the later Chinese porcelain. You will have to search for similar decorations. I know that some painted colored faces at that time, but I do not know if the face features, etc. are consistent with those.

As with the Eight Friends of Zhushan (?????you have to study the single painter's painting style, handwriting, seal, etc. to make sure that it is not a later copy. Many of the better known porcelain painters of that period were copied later in the 20th century.

Stan

Thank you Peter, I hope it is genuine, I will study this in detail, Shelly it is good to hear from you, I will keep you both up to date as I study these vases, thanks again.

calder

Hi  is the red square seal mark the shop mark or has it another meaning?

Stan

Hi Calder, good question, I have never seen such a mark, I wonder if it could be republican mark of that time frame 1929.

peterp

It is probably the personal chop of the painter.