Pair of miniature (doll's house) vases

Started by GerryG, Nov 02, 2020, 21:03:35

Previous topic - Next topic

GerryG

Here are a near pair of miniature (doll's house) famille rose floral vases measuring just over 3 and a quarter inches high. I'm assuming they are quite modern though there are some signs they could be older than I believe. For instance the burnt orange foot rim showing evidence of iron oxide in the clay. this is also showing on the interior of both vases so hasn't been applied. There is also slight evidence of an orange peel effect on one of the bases. I am perplexed with the liberal if not sloppy application of the overglaze white both to the dark green on the shoulder of each vase as well as an outline to some of the flowers. TBH I have never come across this before. it is almost like someone applied this later (like a kid icing their first cup cake) and re-fired the vases. Any comments welcome as usual.

Thanks Gerry

peterp

The only that has some appearance of age is the bottom. However, this is no traditional Chinese shape at all. Neither that nor the decoration shows any sign these could be of Chinese origin. In other words, could be made anywhere.

GerryG

Thanks Peter, you could be right. The shape is certainly a conundrum as well as other aspects ie: foot rim, glaze and the actual painting. Possibly they could be some sort of tourist keepsake made Hong Kong around the turn of the 20th century. I'll keep digging for info as I'm curious to know their origin.

peterp

Actually, the shape resembles more a Japanese one, but still, it might be from anywhere.