Chinese or Japanese Vase

Started by MarjadeVries, Oct 13, 2020, 02:59:26

Previous topic - Next topic

MarjadeVries

can anyone tell me more about this porcelain vase, it is 20 cm high and unnoticed

thanks in advance

peterp

Please upload images showing details of the decoration closeup, also the base with any blemishes or age signs clearly visible. The can be partial pictures. With such items the interior of the mouth can sometimes also give hints as to age.

MarjadeVries

close up photos there are no blemishes

MarjadeVries

close up photos

peterp

I'm afraid this is still insufficient to see glaze details, etc.. Please look at this post: https://discussion.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/index.php?topic=5260.0
The image byte size is about the same as yours, but when clicking an image every flaw and spot is clearly visible. That is what is needed.
Your later images look as if they are enlarging the same pictures a bit, but what is needed is actually a better (higher) image resolution. If you do not increase the resolution (dpi) what is visible to the eye remains the same.

During evaluation we look at tiny details in the glaze, the base, etc. for age or usage signs.
With your item this is definitely necessary, because the black decoration bands are highly unusual.

MarjadeVries

okay, thanks for the explanation, the vase is now with my sister, I cannot take a better picture of it, I will only be able to do that in a while, so I understand that it is worthwhile to look at it better than

MarjadeVries

by the way ,the decoration bands are dark blue , not black, is it stil interesting ?

peterp

If it was black I can tell you that it is most likely would be more recent or a case of over-painting. Not sure about the blue one. This depends in part on the other decoration, and the period it was painted in. Just from an overall view it is difficult to tell what it is for sure. But it is no good to just to say it is not antique. Often when we view something closer it may turn out to be just a more infrequent decoration or color combination...
Never mind if it takes time. You can make a new post later. :)

Stan

What this looks like to me with the bright purple is Chinoiserie, or 20th century Chinese, or later, until you can prove other wise, BTW, I do not think I have ever seen a Kangaroo on Chinese porcelain, maybe, but I have never seen that before.

MarjadeVries

Stan, thanks for your reply, but i don't see a kangaroo :-)

Stan

That is why bigger pictures are needed, in the photo (1) JPG it looks like a Kangaroo.

MarjadeVries

i will make new pictures in a couple of weeks, thanks

Stan

Thanks so much for the larger Photo''s, Chinoiserie in my opinion.

MarjadeVries

ok thanks, and what does that mean, I have no understanding of it, do you have any idea how old it is and whether it has any value or do I have to take and send new photos first

Stan

You can find the deffiniton of Chinoiserie in the Glossary on this Site, Chinese porcelain that was exported to Europe was in big demand and so they started copying the Chinese decorations and and the term Chinoiserie was Created.