Satsuma type vase

Started by Stan, Sep 27, 2020, 02:30:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, here is another vase from the collection I just received, this one looks modern, with the city in the back ground, Im thinking 2nd half of the 20th century, it could be older but I am not sure, I am hoping that the mark can give us a clue to proximity of age, this vase has an Indian look about it to me, thanks for your expertise, Stan.

Stan

Here are the last 2 photo's, this vase is 31.11 cm Hight, thanks again, Stan .

peterp

First to the mark, the characters are very clear; the top character is made up of a left and right part. They both exist, but I cannot find the combination character, neither among Chinese nor Japanese characters. It could be a name character which otherwise is used, but not sure.

What does look like a city in your view? Is it the blue and orange rectangles in the background? The buildings with roof tiles look more like castle buildings.

Stan

Castles, that's interesting, that is what I thought to be high rises in the back ground but Your right it could also be a castle, Thanks Peter.

peterp

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing. :)  The castle buildings are visible in the first two images, with the typical stone bases and roofs. Not sure about the orange and blue rectangles, though. Their shape looks somewhat like Japanese battle flags of old. Those were long, vertical rectangles ...but it could be just any decoration.

Stan

Thanks for explaining the castle part that makes more sense, the rectangles must be banners of some sort, may be the colors have some significance of some kind.