Japanse? Shop mark??

Started by Rec, Aug 23, 2020, 22:08:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Rec

hi guys, i hope you're all well.  Could you help me with ID this plates? Thanks in advance and greetings
Rec

Stan

Hi Rex, I have seen this mark before, but I did not get a definitive answer, how ever I did see a vase with this mark and the English word Nippon, meaning Japan which means it could date from 1890 to 1930, I agree with you it is more likely to me a shop mark or a potters name, If I find out more or if you do please let us know, thanks.

Rec

peterp

The character looks familiar, but I'm unable to find it, although the strokes are clearly visible. I thought Stan may know it, but in this case I will try to search a Japanese dictionary. It did not exist in the Chinese one, which usually has more characters than a Japanese dictionary. The character is simply not there. It could be an old or Japanese only Kanji. I found the character on an old Japanese plate that I have not looked at in years.

peterp

The left side of this character is a 克, while the right part seems to be a 日. Both are common in Chinese and Japanese, but the combination character is unknown, at least in Chinese. After scanning a list of name characters not included in everyday Kanji, I still could not find it. However, it might be a variation of another character, in which case it is likely a name (family name) used only in Japan. It is probably related to a certain workshop as the coloration of the plate is somewhat resembling that of another plate I have here, with the same mark.

Rec

very interesting Peter, thank you