Late Ming bowl?

Started by smak, Aug 02, 2020, 10:28:18

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

Hi guys,

When was this made? I know this is more of a common ware or people's ware!

Stan

Is this the true color of the White ground, it looks like it has to much blue for ming also on ming you would normally see some orange from the firing in the kiln, if the color is not right it could be early Qing, Im not sure but I think the mark is a Jade mark.

smak

Hi Stan!

WHat do you mean by jade mark?

Hmm

Stan means that he thinks the character is 玉, but that small 点 stroke looks like a firing flaw.  It's probably 王, without the small dot. 

Stan

Thanks Hmm, if that is a firing flaw then it would read Wang a family name according to my book on marks.

peterp

Yes, indeed it is Wang not Yu. The dating could be about right although I would rather say late Ming to early Qing.
The whit color differed much over the centuries, even between single reigns and, before all, the kiln which made the porcelain. Generally said in private kilns this white was more frequent than you will find in export, etc. The Chinese here call this Duck Egg's Celadon. Note that it does not say Duck Egg's White, because of this bluish tint in the 'white' color.  Usually you can say the better the wares the whiter the color, but also the later an item the whiter the glaze. There are always  exceptions, though. Yes, this was made for the common people.

peterp

The foot rims of this and the other bowl have been bugging me, because they do not exactly look like Ming; I had a look at my Chinese marks books which show mostly photographed marks from existing items and kiln shards. There are more than a dozen of seal type marks with the same type of 'single character in a frame', not including the Wang 王 character, however.  Nonetheless, all of them were of the same period, the Yongzheng reign of the Qing dynasty. No other eras show this typical mark type.
I must say that I feel more comfortable with this dating due to the dark pigment and thick foot rim.

Stan

Looks like you got your self a nice bowl smak.

smak

Thanks peter and Stan!

The bowl stood out to me and was only $40 so I gave it a go! I did like the design on it so I went with it!

Thanks again guys!