Swatow(?) vase

Started by Winger, Jul 08, 2020, 20:48:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Winger

Hallo everyone, could anyone tell me more about this vase? I believe it is antique but it would be great to have this confirmed and to further get your opinions. Thanks!

peterp

I'm afraid this is a fake, or at least not as old as it seems. Do not get mislead by the old looking bottom, please...
First, the shape seems to deviate from ancient ones, especially the neck.
Zhangzhou (formerly called Swatow) wares consisted mainly of underglaze blue and red/green painted wares.
Here the green color tone as well as the red and pinkish red do not resemble Zhangzhou wares.
Have a look at these colors in an image search result: https://tinyurl.com/y7qpfbhr
The shoulder decoration and style of the birds is also not one of the classic painting styles.

An old or dirty looking bottom is often used to mislead potential buyers into thinking that an item is antique.

Winger

Thanks very much for your response. Do you think it is 20th century or maybe 19th century>

peterp

A few decades, maybe. China did and still does make hand-painted porcelain. Difficult to tell exactly from when, but not a real antique item.