famille rose medaillon

Started by konniela, Jul 04, 2020, 20:26:48

Previous topic - Next topic

konniela

Because I still have a heart for brocken pieces, I bought this plate. But the most reason was because of the six character mark. I thought, these pieces were only made for export and have no mark. I seems to be a Kangxi mark, not clear to see on this photo, but that is all I have right now. When it is authentic, then the mark would fit to late qing.

So, maybe not all these pieces were exported ?

konniela

more photos

peterp

You are right, this mark is apocryphal. These belongs to the Canton enamels that were painted in the foreign factories near Guangzhou. They were directly exported from Canton. Should be 19th century, I believe.

konniela

Even if it is not in the best constitution, it is old and the painting looks very nice, really so much work. But no one was interested, 1,50 € is a very sad priece. 

Thanks for all I could learn here 

konniela

The mark is -for me- neither kangxi nor guangxu. The third character looks not like guangxu, the fourth character is incomplete because of the damage. But it is really strange, that a piece like this has a mark at all

peterp

You are right, there should be no mark. The birds and butterflies may hint to the Daoguang reign or thereabouts. It may have had an altogether different decoration originally, that was over-painted. That would have been easy with this type of thick enamels; or perhaps it was another blank that was not intended for export but was added to fill the numbers for transport (from JDZ to Canton). A common practice it seems, in China, at least in the past.