Hat stand vase

Started by Adriano, Jun 26, 2020, 18:00:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriano

I got this vase recently.
It is a late Qianjiang style, early republic period, probably 1920s, I think.
The rubbed gilded decoration and porcelain faults are OK for period.

Thank you for any comments.

peterp

Hi Adriano,
If all is handpainted it should be okay. I assume the flower is not spray-painted. If that was the case, it would be later.
The first and third characters of the mark are virtually illegible, but it seems to be a workshop mark.
The handwriting is difficult to read even for a Chinese, but "Jiangxi" (province) is mentioned, the place where Jingdezehen is located.

Adriano

Hi Peter,
It looks me all hand painted.
For spray-painted do you mean shua hua technique?
I do not think it is so.

Thank you for your assistance.

peterp

The closeup picture looks okay to me. Spray-painting was used from the fifties, as far as I know, and some flowers were also painted with this method. Just had to exclude the possibility that an old porcelain body was over-painted later as the strokes were not visible in the smaller images.  :)

Adriano

Thank you again Peter.

Stan

I agree with the age on the hat stand, but the vase looks like the decoration was added later, notice how fresh the decoration looks compared to the foo lions on the side, it looks like late Qing and decoration later, the bottom of the vase should be shown as well.

peterp

I'm afraid I missed the vase side, looking only at the hat stand and the top flower picture, which belongs to the hat stand. I did not realize that there are now two items shown.
The side of the vase appears to be spray-painted -- that means the leaves and the petals. I'm convinced that if you enlarge the petals in the area where the yellow and pink colors turn into white, you will see that it is not painted by brush. That painting method was mainly used in the people's republic, not the earlier republic period, although it is an old vase body. On the other hand, the hat stand shows brush strokes, both on petals and leaves, which is the conventional way of painting decorations.
Spray paining on earlier, Ming and Qing dynasty porcelain, is found in monochrome glazes only.

Adriano

Hi Peter and Stan,

I am afraid to have generated some confusion.
This topic refers to the hat stand only.
The attached picture of the vase with the foo lions is just a reference example of what I mean for not brush painted decoration: please forget this.
I understand from your comments, that the hat stand is brush painted and dated to the early Republic period.

Thank you for your help.