18th century blue/white Export plate - Qianlong?

Started by JjGhandi, Jun 02, 2020, 16:58:09

Previous topic - Next topic

JjGhandi

Hello everyone,

I'm getting this deep plate in with the mail soon.
It's being sold as '18th century' but I was wondering if there could be an exact period.

I'm assuming Qianlong but I'm not sure.
How would you be able to determine the right period on these 18th century export wares?

Of course you see some items more frequent in some periods than others but blue/white exports were made in several reigns with often the same designs, or am I mistaken?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Kind regards,

JJ

JjGhandi

I've found plates with the same decoration as well online. Also advertised as Qianlong.

Is there any other way to find out the specific period on blue/white export porcelain of the 18th century?
As they were mass made I don't expect a lot of differences in paint styles over several 18th century reigns.
Perhaps a difference in the inks/glaze/shape?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

JJ

JjGhandi

Hello everyone,

The foot rim doesn't look really slanted to me.
The top rim is gilted that's been worn off.
No chatter marks on the foot rim.

What are your opinions?
Would it be 18th or 19th?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

JJ

peterp

Possibly from the Kangxi reign, judging by the decoration, especially the water waves, and the brown rim. The latter appears mainly on small jars from the Ming dynasty and on plates, dishes of the Qing dynasty; more often than not on the earlier side, but occasionally even on  later ones. The brown color was applied to protect the edge of thin plates from glaze damage (fltea bites), more often than no in the early Qing dynasty.

JjGhandi

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for the great information.
That's really useful knowledge!

Kind regards,

JJ