Snuff bottle

Started by JjGhandi, May 29, 2020, 02:37:18

Previous topic - Next topic

JjGhandi

Hello everyone,

I think it's my lucky day.
I picked up this snuff bottle today for €5.
There was a line of 10 Asian-Europeans behind me but luckily I was first!

What do you guys think?
I haven't seen much nude on Asian ceramics before.
That's why I assume that it's been used for opioids.

Also the palm trees make me think of an exotic place.

Could this be early republic/late Qing?
It's got some rust spots but no real other age marks.

The stopper and the inside both have twisted carvings so the stopper can be twisted in so it can't get out by pulling.

Thanks in advance guys!

Kind regards,

JJ

JjGhandi

More pictures

JjGhandi

1 more!

JjGhandi

Forgot the other side!

peterp

A coconut palm? That is the first time ever I see something like this. The people are harvesting coconuts.
The attire, faces and motif is not Chinese. Maybe made somewhere in SE Asia?  Not sure, though, because the palm looks so diminutive. They should know how high these trees can be. Not very old in my view.

JjGhandi

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the insight!
Indeed the decorations aren't familiar at all, neither are the people painted. I was afraid.

Guess I am a bit disappointed but it's a tough school!

Thanks again Peter, great info.

Kind regards,

JJ

JjGhandi

Hi Peter,

Just one question:

What do you mean by 'not very old'?
2nd half of the 20th century or rather first?

Thanks in advance,

JJ

Stan

Hi JJ, I used to collect glass cork bottles when I was a kid, I could find them in valleys or buried, this is in the U.S. I beleive it was in the 20s that they started to use screw caps on a commercial scale, that is here in the U.S. I am not aware of Chinese snuff bottles using this method ever until now if your bottle is Chinese, it dose not look Chinese to me, but if it is it would be New in my opinion. BTW, you asked if this could be late Qing or early republic, I think not because during these periods and that includes the republic period from 1912 to 1949 the Chinese were very traditional in style and decorations, and something like this would be extremely Modern.

JjGhandi

Hey Stan,

Thanks once more for your information.
I can't stress out enough how much this knowledge means to me.
It's so educational and an extremely good way to learn more about Chinese ceramics.
I wouldn't have a clue how to learn all of this if this forum didn't exist.

A big thank you for everyone helping out, even when I ask information about obvious fake/new ceramics.

I guess I'll buy more books to aquire more depth.

Kind regards,

JJ

JjGhandi

And a big thank you to Peter as well, for the same reasons!