Pls help me

Started by thanh trinh, Apr 17, 2020, 12:13:27

Previous topic - Next topic

thanh trinh

Hello Perter and others!
I've got this Chinese character on a Vietnamese ewer (It is inscribed inside the base, so I can't photo)
I tried to coppy it as resemble as possible, but I'm not sure for it's accuracy.
May you imagine what does it mean?
Thanks so much!
Thanh Trinh

peterp

Better upload pictures of the item itself. The character is not recognizable, but I have seen marks written by non-Chinese on SE Asian porcelain. Are you sure it is a Chinese item and not an imitation?

thanh trinh

Thanks Peter
Here is the ewer. It is the Vietnamese item, in the 17th century (Tran/Le Dynasty)
unfortenately, the inscription is ínide the ewer, so no one can see by photo
Thanks
Thanh Trinh

peterp

Hi, I agree that it is not Chinese. From the stroke order it is impossible to reconstruct a Chinese character, or even make sure that it is Chinese. Also, why should a mark be inside of it? Could it be something else that by accident looks like a character?

thanh trinh

Thanks Peter!
This Í not Chinese Item, but Vietnamese one. In that tim of age, Vienamese used Chínese characters as national language.
Old Vietnamese antique, specially those that were important ones, there are characters on ít's ínside, but in the center base.
the one of mine is not,
these are photos that I try to take
thanks
Thanh Trinh

peterp

Hi, I know that Chinese was the official language until the 19th century. No problem with that, but I have seen many SE Asian fakes with 'fake' Chinese marks that clearly showed that the writer had no idea of Chinese writing... :-)

Thanks for the additional pictures. This appears to be a 五, the character for the number five (5). Does this make sense?

thanh trinh

Thanks Peter!
So it need some more times to search.
Thanks so much
See you on next topic
Thanh Trinh

peterp

It is not a mark...but FYI, there are also Chinese items from specific kilns that have such numbers, but on the outside bottom.

thanh trinh

Thanks Peteer
I've heard that kind of ceramics interm of Chinese ware too.  It is some thing like "numbered guan ware" in the Song/Ming dynasty. It is applied for Junyao. Those are the most expensive items, after Ru and Guan ware.
but I'm not sure for Vietnamese ware.
Thanks
Thanh Trinh