Shipwreck celadon vase Large

Started by smak, Apr 11, 2020, 09:57:12

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

Hi All,

Wonder what your thoughts are on this. When was this made?

smak

More

smak

more

smak

more

smak

It measures about 13.3" tall,
and 8.2" at the widest.

It weighs nearly 6 pounds.

peterp

The decoration seems to be in Yuan style. This is not a normal celadon color.  My guess is that it was made in the last 30 years, but I could not tell for sure. It just looks not right for some intangible reason.

I have seen hundreds if not thousands of early Ming and Yuan items in the last couple of years, Very few were really old. My recommendation is to put some energy into the research of Yuan/Song and older items for some time, and to specialize in a few item types or periods. Qing and Ming porcelain knowledge is insufficient for evaluating items of those much earlier eras.

peterp

Only now did I see that it is a supposed"shipwreck" item. Where on this is the part showing the marine growth in the second picture from top? It should be covering a large part and not be easily removable. I would be careful with anything from a shipwreck from an unverified source. Marine growth is known to be glued on, etc.
Before buying anything from a shipwreck I would look at pictures of wreck items to make sure. And, Yuan items would still be fairly expensive, unless they are found in large numbers.

smak

Thanks Peterp! I had no idea those clams were glued on! Thought it happened naturally!

Thanks again!!

peterp

Not so fast, I did not say the marine growth IS glued on, only that it is odd that there is only that part having it in the single picture. Gluing on is only on kind of  method to make items appear as genuine shipwreck items. First, if they are glued on, then the glue may be removed by using acetone or another thinner.
Another method is lowering items into the sea in  a net and leaving them there for some time, until clams have grown. Marine growth adhering this way may differ from those of a shipwreck, because the latter is usually in a depth and location with specific marine growth, and those from being lowered into the water are often those close to the shore, or in a port, which are of a different type. This meiping jar would have to from the Yuan or early Ming dynasty, if authentic. Items of some 600 years ago may not have a glaze of all, depending on whether they were buried in the silt or sand at the bottom of the sea or not. If they were not, the glaze may be abraded more or less. I cannot see any abrasion. If you own that item already, I would try to remove the growth, if not, I would advise against purchasing it.