Chinese Vases

Started by samborsu, Apr 10, 2020, 03:45:49

Previous topic - Next topic

samborsu

Hello, another one puzzles me.
I have a set of 2 vases with the same designs...(with some little differences)
The glaze of one is a little  bit lighter than the  other one. I think I read Chenghua dynasty on the bottom,....Any idea?
Thank you

Stan

This is also Fangge, late Qing Guangxu, the brown Chenghua mark is typical for this ware, again the crackle is artificially induced, nice vases.

Stan

Looking closer at the top on one of your vases it looks like it could have been Printed, if so it would be a later made item 2nd half of the 20th century.

samborsu

Hello Stan, How can you see the top could have been printed printed?

Stan

Hi Samboru, in one of your photo's the one showing a pair of vases, the one on the right side, you can see the red band decoration at the top, it looks like the decoration was transfered, I would need a closer look at the top where the red leaf decoration, the leaves were not spaced correctly,
This happens on transfer ware, the band transferred dose not fit and you get uneven spaced leaves, I think they are leaves in sets of three's, you can see where you have two sets of leaves practically blending into each other this is typical of transfer ware, it could also be hand painted and the painter did not space them correctly and this was as good as it could be, a close up photo of the red band would show sufficient evidence either way.

samborsu

Yes, I can see it. so it is from the 1950 or so ..(I have them since 1970)

Stan

Thanks Samborsu, yes this is hand drawn not transferred you can tell none of the decoration is the same, transfer ware usually will have multiples of identical patterns, sometimes it is hard to tell because after the transfer they go over it by hand to give the appearance of hand painting, but in this case you can see the start is darker and gets lighter during the stroke.

samborsu

so this is really a Qing Guangxu (late 1800 early 1900)

Stan

The quality is not like the ones I've had from that period and without a hands on inspection it is hard to say for sure, What dose the inside look like, on antiques, you should have pitting inside and caked on dirt that will not come off with water if it looks fresh inside with no dirt and no pitting it would likely be from a later period, BTW when you see foot rims like this where the dirt was added on the foot that is not normal that is usually done  on fakes to make something look older than it is.

peterp

There is something else to consider. This type of Fangge crackle vases was often made without color decoration in the late Qing dynasty. But we find many that had later added warrior type color decorations on the old, plain crackle glaze. In that case the vase itself is still old, but the overpainting added later. Collectors usually take the last time an item was worked on as the actual item age.

samborsu

I found this where the vase liiks a lot like mine except for the handles and the brown parts. but same design and same glaze. it's under "Mark: Chenghua Nian Zhi" No 83 (4th from the bottom) where they say mid 20th century
gotheborg.com/marks/brownetched.shtml