Chinese bowl ?

Started by samborsu, Apr 09, 2020, 21:29:58

Previous topic - Next topic

samborsu

Hello, Does anyone have an idea of where and when this was made?
thank you

Stan

I believe this is Fangge ware, the crackle is artificially induced, it is hard to see in these pictures but the red color probably has a dull shine which would be later Guangxu period, early 20th century.

samborsu

Thank you. Yes the red is quite dull even brownish

peterp

Yes, Fangge ware, but the bottom looks as if it is a very recent imitation.

samborsu

I bought it 50 years ago

Stan

Thanks Peter for bringing that up, I agree the foot is not like the traditional wares that I have seen.

peterp

You are sure that you are not mistaken? 50 years ago most Chinese arts and crafts could only be exported via Hong Kong because it was still closed off. There was little faking and most ceramics would have been either new, or real antiques, sold via Hong Kong; almost no imitations were being made in China at the time as they had no access yet to the large foreign market.

Large scale faking started only in the 80s or 90s. If it was made then, it could have been made only for sale to unknowing foreigners. It is too obvious that the base is not right. This type of wide foot rim and spiral bottom is not traditional Chinese workmanship. The spiral and color covering it is also nothing appearing on  traditional or antique Chinese porcelain of more than a thousand years.
BTW, I forgot to mention that the shape is also a bit odd, in my view.

samborsu

Yes, I came to live in the US 40 years ago and i briought this with me. I had it already for a few years