Period Daoguang Snuff Bottle?

Started by Stillwaters, Jul 12, 2014, 23:49:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Stillwaters

Another one of the snuffs in my recent collection. I've been Googling around trying to figure out if it is a period Daoguang piece or not.

The painting is strange and maybe unfinished, and its not typical to what I'm seeing. The form isn't usual to the ones I've seen in museum catalogs and auction houses either.

Any opinions?

Thanks for looking!

Stan

Hi Stillwaters, it looks like a modern shape to me and the decoration dose not look period, that is just my opinion,

Stillwaters

I think so too. To be honest, its kind of shoddy. The monkey is crude, it looks unfinished, and the mark is off center. Not to mention that the top is certainly not that old

Are you there Peter? What do you think?

Stan

There are still some good ones out there but they are getting harder to find.

peterp

At first I though it might a hollowed out stone!  Never saw a snuff bottle without either a foot rim of flat base; and there is no neck either. The monkey could be okay, but its age is difficult to tell. Seems to be smaller than usual. Is that part of the decoration rubbed off in the background, or was it originally painted that light?

Stillwaters

It was originally painted that way, it could be just unfinished or something. Its weird looking though, the side with 2 monkeys. I can't tell what they are supposed to be doing or sitting on

What's getting me is the spoon and cork, they look like they were made 20 years ago, they are very clean, but the inside is dirty with snuff. Did they replace these things?

And I think its 2-3/4" or 3" tall