Is this Japanese?

Started by tipton444, Sep 25, 2019, 06:33:24

Previous topic - Next topic

tipton444

Hello,

I am working hard at learning, and I believe this cup or small vase is Japanese but I just want to make sure and get confirmation.  Am I correct?  The prunus or cherry blossom design originally made me think Chinese but the checkerboard and honeycomb patterns are usually more of a Japanese style right?  and is the brown color of the rim a Japanese characteristic as well?  How old do you guys think this is?  Thanks for all the help.

Eric

peterp

Stan may be able to tell you the age. The patterns you mention appeared originally on Chinese porcelain, but they were integrated into Japanese porcelain to a degree that we can say they have become dominant designs.

tipton444

Okay great, I thought I have seen these patterns on both Chinese and Japanese porcelain, but are there any patterns in particular that can tell you right away if the item is Japanese or Chinese?  Maybe Stan will know more, thanks for the help Peter. 

peterp

On Chinese porcelain they appear mainly as decoration bands along the base, shoulder or neck. There was a period in the late Ming dynasty when they also were used between windows containing different decorations, but that is more the exception from the rule. However, the Japanese decorations found on Arita, for example, may have taken the hint from those.

tipton444

okay, great to know!  I've definitely seen them exactly where you said.  If this cup was Chinese that would be great.

peterp

No, it isn't! Japanese porcelain often incorporates these patterns, even now. Some originally Chinese features are more often found on Japanese porcelain, nowadays. The painting style, cup shape, etc. of this one is definitely Japanese in my view. This shape is virtually unknown in traditional Chinese porcelain. But this has some age...

Stan

Hi Tipton, I would lean towards Japanese the flower decoration is copied from a Kakiemon pattern usually in polychrome colors, Peter is rigtht Arita is where Kakiemon in the 17th, century started his kiln and produced some of the finest porcelain ever created it has been copied all around the world, from what I can see on yours being blue and white, I would date it to the Taisho period.

tipton444

Excellent!  So my initial thoughts were correct lol,  I thought it was Japanese but I just wanted to make sure.  Thank you both for clarifying what exactly lead you to believe it is Japanese, that was very helpful. 

So in the future when I am trying to discern a piece of porcelain with similar beehive and checkerboard patterns, as well as cherry blossom trees, both of which are found on both Chinese and Japanese porcelains during different time periods, I should first focus on the shape and style, then possibly look for a second pattern such as the Kakiemon pattern in this case, the colors, and possibly the brown rim....does that sound about right?  Obviously most pieces will have more easily recognizable features, like markings or patterns, or just knowing the age of the piece.  I am still learning, I've just had a couple times where I was confused by similarities in the patterns, and I know it will become clear with more time and learning.  Anything else that stands out that could differentiate the two?

peterp

Basically shapes and bottom/foot rim configurations are the most reliable, and the first that should be looked at. Here they suffice to determine which it is. The problem lies with the fact that Japan integrated early Chinese patterns, and sometimes copies whole Chinese decorations, so that you may not always be able to use the painted decoration for identification.

tipton444

Okay great, very helpful thank you!