Yuan tea pot with cup and warmer.

Started by Stan, Sep 11, 2019, 14:58:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I would like to see what you think about this tea pot, I was told that the cup that it is setting in was made that way for a warmer, but to me it looks like it was stuck from the firing in the kiln, I was told that it is Song but if it was the top would be unglazed which leads me to think Yuan dynasty, I would like to point out that there are no dead bubbles in the glaze, and a lack of dirt from centuries of use, Your expert opinion is appreciated.

Stan

Here are 3 more photo's to view, thanks.

peterp

Hi Stan, first I want to clarify that  these types pots in a bowl are indeed for warming, but I have never had the opportunity to handle one, only seeing them. I'm a bit surprised about it being fixed inside, but it might well be. But if it is, I do not think it is accidental. They just need to glaze the bowl fully inside and the ewer or pot would adhere firmly after firing.

Basically, I don't think this is Song. Song items are usually glazed down to the foot rim if they are Song. Not sure if it could be Jin (contemporary to Southern Song). If it is not, then it is most likely Yuan of Five Dynasties period (the period before Song), the base clay is a bit rough.
The "cup" is proportionally larger than it normally is. Is it stable if filled with liquid? The bottom is too small. This is normally a lid with a small foo dog or lion on top, which here is missing. And, I believe it is more likely for liquor warming.
Some examples:  tinyurl.com/yypvwzrv

Stan

Thanks Peter, so for liquor, interesting, the dealer I got this from said that he got it from a friend of his that made trips to China and this was purchased in China around 1992.

peterp

That was just before the Chinese started to pay attention to their antiques. You may not be able to get something like this out of China today, as the export of certain types of antiques is now prohibited.