Bowl - 19c? Red and grisaille

Started by haukech, Aug 26, 2019, 04:41:25

Previous topic - Next topic

haukech

Dear All,
This bowl measures approx. 14,5cm wide and 7,5 tall.
I am guessing 19c but when comparing the rim and bottom to other items i have  i dear to think it could be older. Whats your take on this?
Unusual combination of colours for an older period?
Thanks in advance.

haukech

Here some details of the scenaries on the bowl

peterp

To me this looks as if the decoration band along the top and foot rim might have been original, but faded.
The area in between those decoration bands looks newly (re)painted. The double story building and its roof/eaves look  Japanese.

Two different bottoms?

haukech

Thanks Peterp!
Thats interesting. Still i have not seen similar Japanese items.
Do you think its perhaps an older Chinese item based on the rim? The original interior flower might help out.

peterp

If you have access to Japanese Imari with buildings you will find similar roofs. What I think is that this has been redecorated, and the two-storey building is not in Chinese style. The ends of the roof ridge are typical Japanese, and the whole roof structure resembles more th architecture of a Japanese castle tower or an old Japanese buiding than a Chinese pavillion, in my view.

The simple hut on the other side is okay for Chinese, but the trees and mountains also look funny, and the clouds are not typical Chinese either.
Could be that an item with a faint decoration was redecorated in a Japanese style... the color is somewhat odd too; looks more brown than anything else to me. BTW, the central flower in the top rim decoration does not look Chinese either, looks like it should represent a partial  chrysanthemum decoration found occasionally on Japanese porcelain. But, here it looks as if a faded decoration could have been repainted or overpainted. Too many discrpancies mean it is not an original decoration in my view.

haukech

Thanks for all the details Peterp. Much appreciared truly.
Just one last doubt, what about the base rim, what period would you say?

peterp

That is what complicates everything, because it looks Chinese. I have been playing with the thought that it might originally be a Chinese item that then was redecorated with a completely different type of decoration (partially). What looks original to me is the gilt below the red at the top rim, but not the flowers.
Could it have been redecorated in Japan?  There are examples of this happening in older items (late Ming), but never noted it on something like this.

Stan

my guess is it was redecorated in the 20th century the gable roof on the one house would suggest a later rendering on an old piece as Peter stated, and I have never seen clouds in buildings like this on Antique Japanese or Chinese porcelain.

haukech

Thanks to all for your precious comments. I will keep an eye open and see in literature if similar pieces appear.

haukech

I have been checking on this item and perhaps it could be Japanese export porcelain (book: Oliver Impey, p.249). Would make it Edo around 1700 following the colours used. The colour of the body also ressembles.