Chinese or Japanese Bowl

Started by hn2503, Aug 11, 2019, 04:54:18

Previous topic - Next topic

hn2503

Hi Peter and everyone in the forum,

I am currently thinking to possibly acquire a bowl. See attached images. It would be really helpful if someone can offer opinion about the bowl. I am not really certain whether it is Chinese or Japanese porcelain. There is no mark at the bottom of the bowl, and hence I cannot know for certain which period the bowl was made. Does the glaze look old?

Many thanks for your help
Long

hn2503

Some more images at the base of the bowl

hn2503

I am not familiar with the decoration and/or drawing of the interior and the exterior of the bowl. Do anyone know if the pattern is typical of a particular period.

Thanks
Long

Rec

Japanese bowl, im not sure but maybe kaikemon or arita

hn2503

some more images of imperfection at the rim

hn2503

Thanks Rec for the quick comment. Does Kakiemon/Arita say anything about the age/period of the object? I read in Wikipedia which says that these styles were produced from 17 century, copied by european porcelain factory in the 18th century, but does not say whether it is still widely produced nowadays.

One more image of the exterior of the bowl. There are 8 of these, and I am not sure what this represents? A human holding a robe? or a burning candle light.

hn2503

Reading from various webpages (e.g. www.chambersinteriors.com/blog/2016/6/16/guide-to-collecting-imari-porcelain), I can see that

+ Before 1890, imports of Imari porcelain to the US were not required to be marked by country of origin. And the bowl does not have any mark. However, I found the object in Vietnam.

+ Enamel decoration: I think I can see this on the surface of the bowl.

+ The most valuable and sought-after kind of Japanese Imari is Kakiemon porcelain, not sure if this is accurate.

Does this look Japanese Imari/Arita/Kakiemon, or imitations and deceptions from English or Dutch factory?

However, from what I can see, the decoration of normal Imari object is usually very dense, with a lot of red and yellow dominating other colours like blue/grey. With many curly patterns. Whereas in the interior of the bowl, I can see pattern/area of zigzag straight line. I have not seen the pattern before.

Thanks for your help
Long

Stan

This looks more recent in my view, early 20th century, to me it looks more like Fukagawa than Kakiemon, I can see the similarities in the flowers for Kakiemon but the patterns look more fukagawa.

hn2503

Many thanks Stan for the helpful comment.
Long