Dehua kiln bowl?

Started by kdr, Aug 09, 2019, 19:24:32

Previous topic - Next topic

kdr

Hi!

I recently acquired this domestic bowl as I wanted to learn somewhat more about common wares... This one has a lot of crackles and a dull sound , so I assume it was underfired during the process?

Is my interpretation correct: late 18th to begin 19th century bowl from Dehua?
If not, why?

Has the promotional (?) signature any meaning ?

last question: what does the calligraphic stylistic drawing represent. I guess bamboo in the middle (the 2 sticks) & bamboo leaves around the rim, and maybe with "prunus" on the left and the "pine" on the right sight of these 2 sticks? Or does it look more like a "banana plant"??
Anyway, I haven't yet found examples of these drawing on the internet.

kdr

peterp

I doubt this is from Dehua kiln. The foot rim does not look like a Dehua rim and the blue pigment is not the type typical for Dehua. At least this bowl does not show the typial ones. There are no worm traces either. Crackling develops in the cooling process and many items do have them, but they become only visible when the crackles get dirty.
This is also not a Dehua mark (it is upside down), but a Wan Yu (??) mark used probably by Jingdezhen kilns.

kdr

is it possible to date this type of common ware ?

peterp

As I am not familiar with this I can only say Qing dynasty. Some types of common wares were made during much of that dynasty. I would say, however, due to the painting style it might be from the early to middle of that dynasty.

kdr

Peter, thank you for your time.
Any suggestion about the theme of the drawing?

peterp

No idea what it depicts.