Armorial plate - possibly XIX

Started by haukech, Jul 09, 2019, 17:04:42

Previous topic - Next topic

haukech

Dear All,
I was looking for some time to get a first piece of armorial and run into this plate.
First of all I would appreciate any help in further identifying the coat of arms.
Then I am not sure if Chinese due to base.
Thanks for your comments.

haukech

Here more detail on the base and rim.

peterp

Hi, I have some reservations about the floral decoration. The flowers do not look much like 19th century Chinese flowers painted in China. The dark blue rim is also unusual. Is the blue color on or under the glaze?

haukech

Hi Peterp,
It looks like the blue as well as the flowers  is underglazed, its the green leaves (onlu the small ones) which are like enammeled over the rest of the surface.

peterp

When enlarged at least one of the flowers in the last image appears to be on the glaze too. Anyway, the rim color is odd in my view. Also the flowers, at least I have not seen any Chinese armorial with such. Usually they are fairly plain. But the foot rim is the real problem. This is not a standard Chinese foot rim of the 18th or 19th century. It looks as if the plate goes down in one straight line to the very bottom, and that is unusual. It might be made elsewhere, or may be it is a variation of later time.
But may I suggest to be careful with armorial plates not made with standard 18th plate foot rim shapes.

Please be aware that many armorial wares were in actual use and thus show more or less abrasion or usage signs.
Those in perfect shape may be new.  Years ago fake armorial wares started to appear, possibly because they sold at higher prices than the usual plates.

haukech

Thanks Peterp! I agree that there are many threats which seem some type of not logical production patterns. One of my qiestions was linked with a good source to identify the emblem which looks made Chinese but odd. Could be produced somewhere else, outside of China?

peterp

Yes, that is what I'm suspecting, but I could not tell where.

Rec

Because of the blue edge and the way of flowers painted let me think this is probably produced in France by the firma "porcelain de paris".

haukech

Thanks Rec! I will check interesting.