Blue and white plate - Chenghua?

Started by haukech, May 13, 2019, 21:35:28

Previous topic - Next topic

haukech

Dear All,
As a beginner in this fields, I would very much welcome any help on dating of this piece.
Based on the mark it could be Chenghua but I think it does not stay in line with the calligraphy style described in some sources (e.g. Gotheborg). Any guess?
Thanks in advance.
Christian

konniela

Hello,

the chenghua mark was used also later, in early Kangxi, in 19.century and may be still today on fakes or copies. You can find plates decorated like this in Kangxi, but I am really not sure, if this plate can be so old. The folds in the clothes are normally thin lines, here they looks strange to me.

haukech

Thank you konniela! I suspected also early Kangxi.
About the lines, dont know as the rest of exterior work is quite delicate.
Difficult this one.

peterp

Please provide close-up pictures of details. They can be partial. What is needed is a picture of the foot rim taken at an angle in order to show the approximate cross section shape of the foot rim. One taken of the surface within the foot rim, also taken at an angle. A good view of the underside floral decoration. And the faces close up, please.
Details of any blemishes or age signs might help.

haukech

Dear Peterp, thanks for the follow up. I will do tonight a few pictures with details as you suggest.
As one can see the plate as been glued together and there is also a film in plastic covering certain patrt but peeling off.
I bought this in a street market in Brussels.

haukech

haukech

peterp

The foot rim looks as if it is straight up on the outside, in these pictures. If that is the case than it would have to be 19th century.
The plate rim shape and underside floral decoration is not very common.
The characters of the mark should be of a specific character style, if early or mid Qing dynasty, even if it is an apocryphal mark. This character style is more likely on the later side.
The decoration style is unconventional, but the the foot rim is really the most important thing for Qing dynasty dating. Kangxi or 18th century plates all do have a slanted foot rim. Thus, this is more likely a 19th century item.

haukech

Thank you for the explanations. The direction goes somehow as you say (bottom outwards, but minimally). Food is 85% straight i would say. Definitely a special piece this dish.
Could you recommend some sources for checking this type of drawings?
Also if i may, one question, is the direction of the reign mark normally to be alligned with the sense of drawings usually?

haukech

Dear experts, wisdomholders,
I found this similar item on Catawiki, whats your take on this?
auction.catawiki.com/kavels/26658587

peterp

What is similar, except perhaps that it also uses a spurious Chenghua mark, the character style of which is different though?

peterp

The shape and bottom always are paramount. If the foot rim of your plate is straight up on the outside and not slanted, then there is no chance that it is Kangxi or mid-Qing period. The same is valid for theirs.

Saying it a bit more directly, I have never seen a Chenghua mark on such a plate and now there are suddenly two of them...?  That makes it suspicious I'm afraid, meaning it could even be a later piece. But all depends on the rim.
With a hands-on inspection of the glaze the age could also be clarified, but this is difficult with pictures alone.