Chinese Arabesque Blue/White Plate with Shop Mark

Started by TKNZ, May 10, 2019, 12:04:33

Previous topic - Next topic

TKNZ

Hi all,

This plate/saucer definitely seems like it has some age to it, but I have no idea what period it is likely to be from or if it might be a modern fake. It is 15cm in diameter with a flaring rim, and the underside of the rim also has painted decoration. There is a (6 character?) mark which I assume to be a shop mark on the bottom, and there is a little kiln grit around the foot. The foot tapers slightly inward on its outer edge, although the inside edge is straight up and down. The glaze is fairly cloudy as there are many bubbles in it, and there are multiple small contractions in the glaze. To me, the decoration seems loosely arabesque.
If anyone has any ideas about what period this might be from I'd appreciate their input - I thought it may be a lower quality work from the latter part of the Qing dynasty.

Thanks,
Thomas.

peterp

This is a fairly common type of dish made throughout the Qing dynasty. This one appears to have been made at Jingdezhen. The foot rim and mark style both make this either Kangxi/Yongzheng or Jiaqing reigns in my view. The mark will be decisive which one it is, but I will consult mine and the marks book when I'm back home to make sure which one it is.

TKNZ

Thanks Peter!

I guessed it was likely a peony scroll plate from some time in the Qing dynasty, but I wasn't sure of what kiln or roughly what reign it was from. I'll be interested to hear if you find a match for the shop mark in your book :)

Thanks,
Thomas.

peterp

As I suspected this is a six character Jiaqing reign mark. I could not identify the two characters in the middle for sure, but those on the right and left are recognizable as Daqing and Nianzhi respectively.  Jiaqing is the only reign that has such peculiar "half-character marks" in which only half of the characters was written out in such a manner.
The underside decoration and rim shape also did exist in the Jiaqing reign .