Chinese Hand Painted Globular Vase

Started by Rajet, Mar 28, 2019, 07:02:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Rajet

Greetings, all!  I bought this hand painted globular vase from a lady who said her mother-in-law would pick up Chinese decorated vases at garage sales.  She inherited them and had to downsize, only keeping the ones she liked most.  I asked her why she chose to get rid of this one because I think it is just lovely!  She said she thought this one was nicely painted, too, but she didn't know anything about it because it wasn't marked.  She decided to keep only the ones that were marked.  I'm not so sure that's the right way to downsize but it worked out for me!

I was surprised by its weight.  It is heavier than I thought it would be at 8 lbs., 6 oz.  It is 15" tall.  I think the decorating style most resembles qianjiang as described on this website as resembling a classical Chinese painting.  However, it has no writing on it at all.  It has 8 beautifully painted characters, which seems to be a large number of people on one vase.  I would love to know the story line.
I would love this group's opinion on this vase such as age, kiln and style.  I appreciate all helpful thoughts and ideas!  Thank you!

Rajet

Rajet

Rajet

Rajet

Rajet

Rajet

peterp

This seems to be depicting the eight immortals.

The painting style is of the 20th century, imitating some late Qing/early republic features. The base and some colors still confirm that it is 20th century, as do the all black contours, independent of the filling colors.

Rajet

Thank you, Peter!  Yes, the 8 immortals!  If you don't mind, please briefly tell me what it is about the base that gives the 20th century period away.  Much appreciated!

Rajet

peterp

Mostly the foot rim shape, and its connection to the bottom.
I think your vase may be from the second half of the 20th century.

Rajet

Ah!  Thank you kindly, Peter!

Sincerely, Rajet