Qingbai box?

Started by Pablo82, Mar 28, 2019, 00:43:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo82

Hi Peter and members,

Please your opinion on this celadon box. Could it be Quingbai? The bottom looks odd and the glaze is very shiny. Maybe too much, I'm afraid. Cm. 7 x 4,5

Thank you very much in advance.

peterp

Hi Pablo,
Can you upload a proper side view showing its proportions and the shape. Any blemishes?

Pablo82

Few blemishes here and there , Peter. A shadow underglaze on the top; some tiny black spots; some little holes and dents. Some cracks on the top, one inside the lid. Some sand around the bottom.

peterp

Looks more like a white than a qingbai glaze.
Judging by the interior glaze and the base I would think this is a Dehua kiln porcelain box, possibly Ming dynasty.

Pablo82

Great! Thank you Peter! I was afraid it could be a fake for the beautiful shiny glaze. I didn't know that this kind of boxes could be something else than Quingbai, considering the similar examples on the internet. Is Dehua origin rare for them?

peterp

Dehua kiln originally produced both blue/white and white wares. It is best known for the blanc-de-chine with a pure white glaze made in the Qing dynasty. They made all kind of wares including porcelain boxes. What I am not quite sure about is the age. It is likely Ming because of the bottom type. I have seen that in other Dehua porcelain boxes, but also in earlier ones. However, earlier white wares not made at Dehua are not glazed this way inside, usually, and often they have a slightly yellowish tint.

Pablo82

Thank you Peter. Your answers are true lessons of art history, essential for me to learn and orient myself.