Celadon lotus saucer

Started by Isaac1998, Feb 28, 2019, 00:58:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac1998

Hi all,

I picked up this lovely celadon saucer (a little under 15cm wide) recently and I was wondering if anyone could provide some info on age and origin. The seller swore it was Longquan, but to my knowledge those wares are more reddish in unglazed areas.

For a small saucer, this is very thick but has a high degree of translucency. Northern ware?

It appears to be moulded rather than carved.

I would love any suggestions on age. My initial guess was 18th/19th century but I really have no idea.

High quality pics at google drive link below

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dbdMsWbkzbB0HahkzDDpgfrLiTkyxBT_?usp=sharing

peterp

I cannot do any better. My guess is mid to late Qing dynasty, but it is really difficult to tell because of the foot rim, which is nontypical for any period.

Stan

I have a large Celadon bowl with the same foot, not as orange though, I was told late Qing, but where would a bowl have been made with a wide foot like these, this is the 2nd one I have seen like this, on mine it has a lot of ware from use could they be republic?

peterp

Not sure, Stan.  I simply have never seen a foot like this, not on Chinese or any other porcelain.

Isaac1998

I did wonder- actually- whether it might be Korean- but I know nothing of Joseon celadon.

Isaac1998

The more I look at Korean pieces, the more similar they are to this than Chinese examples. Can anyone confirm?

peterp

I have been considering that, but Korean ceramics do not have such bases either. None of those from the Goryeo and Joeseon periods I have seen up to now have anything even remotely similar. Stan's suggestion that it might be republic period would be more likely.

Stan

Hi Isaac and Peter, here is the bowl that I have hopefully this will add some more information to where these came from, the design on this I am not familiar with but it is an interesting key fret design, the bowl is 28 cm across, BTW, this has nice dead bubbles in it and nice ware, I would say a minimum of 100 plus years of age.

peterp

Stan, this looks more like a regular Chinese foot rim. Is the foot rim area completely level or is it slightly inclined toward the center?
What makes the plate below difficult to date is the rounded edges of the foot rim. If they were more sharp it would be easier. Then it could be a 'Jade ring' bottom, and likely from the Qing dynasty.

Stan

Hi Peter, the foot rim bottom is slightly slanted inwards, would this be considered a jade ring bottom, I have not heard that term before, interesting.

peterp

I asked because if it is not a later copy, then a slightly inward surface may mean that it could be late Ming. In the Qing dnasty the rim face would most likely have been level. I cannot tell age with your item, however.

There is a 'Jade-bi' bottom and a 'Jade-ring' bottom. If you search for 'Jade bi' images you will find its shape; it resembles the shape of those archaic Jade discs,with a relatively small glazed area in the center. A Jade ring shape is just pointing to the shape of a wrist ring, as worn by the ladies, only that it is not round. It is broader than the usual foot rims, and flat.

Stan

Thanks Peter, I will look those up, the Jade-bi and the jade ring bottom.