Tongzhi Vase?

Started by smak, Feb 14, 2019, 22:08:47

Previous topic - Next topic

smak

Hi All!

Need confirmation if this vase is legit and not a replica/ reproduction.

Many thanks!
Smak

Stan

the shape would be late Qing but the decoration looks modern including colors,

smak

It does look a bit modern with the decoration and color!

Is there a definitive answer as to age?

THanks Stan as always!

Stan

Hi Smak, I have heard that fakers can easily remove the decoration from an item " called erasing " and then redecorate to make it look more valuable, that looks like what has happened here, I'm not sure, but the decoration looks like late 20th century.

peterp

The on-glaze decoration is relatively hard after firing. They would have to grind it down. A bit troublesome with such a big vase. However, the double lion "ears" look as if the mark/base could indeed be of that period, except that they were repainted. But judging by the condition of the white glaze inside the mouth this may have been completely reglazed and overpainted.
Large 19th century vases usually have black glaze spots, etc, and often many.  IMHO, this glaze looks too pristine. I bet the glaze is thicker than it normally would be, due to the overglazing.

smak

Hi all!

I had no idea that theres been an erasing technique, the white glaze does look too new! I guess after repainting, it does make things more valuable!

Many thanks as always!

Smak

Stan

Please do not miss-understand me Smak, it would make it less collectable because it would be considered as new as when it was last redecorated, it looses its Antique or Vintage status.

Stan

Another important fact after porcelain or stone ware items that have been re-fired in a kiln looses its ability to be tested by (TL) testing, that is Thermoluminescence testing, on a scale it resets the light signal that is proportional to the radiation dose absorbed by the material back to 0 making it seem like it is new.

smak

I seeee!

Thanks for letting me know! Yeah I figured they must be less collectible!

thoughts on this piece? Also another TongZhi but the marking looks kinda suspicious
http://discussion.chinese-antique-porcelain.com/index.php/topic,4592.0.html