Famille rose plate

Started by Rec, Feb 01, 2019, 23:16:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rec

Hi guys,
What is your expert opinion on this plate?
Greetings

Stan

This looks like a 20th century chinoiserie.

peterp

Could it be Japanese?  The mark seems to be a ? mark which not only is still used on Japanese porcelain, the handwriting style is also typically found on Japanese porcelain. Just an idea...

Stan

Hi Peter, I thought the mark read NB but if it is Japanese writing then it would have to be Japanese, thanks for the correction.

peterp

Well, it is a Kanji; Kanji is the Japanese for Chinese characters. They use almost 2000 mixed with the two Japanese syllabaries. The character ? reads 'fu' in Chinese and 'fuku' in Japanese.

Adriano

I think it could be European Chinoiserie.
Chinese and Japanese plates do not have holes for hanging, as far as I know.

peterp

Indeed, if the holes were there before firing. In that case, however, I would think an explanation for the mark would be required. Such handwriting is not easily copied.

Rec

I will thank you all for your contribution. I made a few pictures of the holes and the mark. To me, the holes looks like drilled at a later moment and the mark does not look copied.
I would like to hear your opinion. Does the holes drilled before firing or after? And when this plate could be produced ?
Greetings an thanks in advance

Stan

I see it now, sorry Peter you are quite right, normally I would recognize a Japanese Fuku mark right away but this is the first time I have seen one in this fashion, most likely because of the age, 2nd half to the 20th century, here is a typical Fuku mark on old Japan wares.