Bowl

Started by anapintoafonso, Mar 30, 2019, 22:26:52

Previous topic - Next topic

anapintoafonso

I was recently helping a friend move home, and he had some boxes of pottery and glass he was going to throw out. Since I'm a potter, and I like ceramics, I brought them home. This bowl was in the bottom of one of the boxes. I know next to nothing about chinese porcelain, and even though I like the weight and the shape of it, I wouldn't want to keep it if it has any value.

anapintoafonso

Stan

The decoration looks Japanese to me, the Chrysanthemum flower is the Japanese national symbol and I have not seen the decorative band on the base around the foot on Chinese Porcelain, I would say 18th century Japan.

anapintoafonso

So, probably ok if I keep it... thank you so much.

Stan

Yes nice bowl and very collectible.

anapintoafonso

I'm happy I didn't let him put it in the bin, and relieved that I'm not keeping a friends heirloom in return from helping out with some boxes. It's a shame how little I know about antique Chinese ceramics, and I even had the privilege to get a private tour from Francisco Freire of his Qingjingtang collection a few years ago, when he moved to Lisbon. Pearl before swines...

peterp

Stan, this is a common Chinese design. Not sure if it could be Japanese also, because of the tone of the blue pigment. The chrysanthemum is indeed more often used in Japan, but in the early Qing dynasty we can see such flowers also.
This image search is the result of searching for 'chrysanthemum BW bowl' in Chinese:
tinyurl.com/y826xgan
I will see if I still have such a bowl; if I do, I will upload the image. Other early Qing designs use the flower too.

Stan

I see what you mean, I was thinking the band decoration on the outside just above the foot seems strange for Chinese but I could be wrong, I will move it back to the Chinese discussion board, sorry about that.

peterp

I know but that decoration along the foot exists. I did not find the bowl with that specific decoration among my items, but I have two other items which have chrysanthemums too. One is late Ming and is a variation of that decoration, but it is more more stylized...if there is interest.
This one is late Ming, as characterized by the foot. The design is a variation of the same decoration and this one was also made at least until the Qianlong reign.

peterp

That is an item made for domestic use in China, not export porcelain. Made by a private kiln for the common people. It was made at least from the Kangxi reign to the Qianlong reign.

Stan

Better yet, thanks Peter.