Ceramic identification

Started by jrubio, Mar 12, 2019, 00:37:43

Previous topic - Next topic

jrubio

Hello! I need help classifying this ceramic. Doing some research, I am not sure if it is Chinese or from Southeast Asia. Any hint would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

peterp

Can you upload an additional picture showing the foot rim only, but in more detail?  Yes, it might not be from China.

jrubio

peterp

Thanks for the foot rim picture. I wanted to see if it has support traces as some Korean items do. As for now I can only say that if it is Chinese, in my view it could be from the Jin or Yuan dynasty. This based on foot rim shape, the position of the interior decoration, and the unglazed bottom. Not sure where the support points in the interior come from, because in those times large support points like this were hardly used in China...as far as I know. Maybe there are exceptions I know nothing of, however.

jrubio

Thanks so much once again Peter for your invaluable feedback!

peterp

After having looked into that angle in the past couple of days I am now convinced 80% that this is of Korean origin. I could find many items which have this kind of big support points inside, but show none on the foot rim. Contrarily, there seem to be no Chinese ones.
However, Korean items showing such traces seem to be mostly of the Joseon dynasty (late 14th to late 19th century).

jrubio

This item actually comes from Sumatra. I am not much aware of Korean ware present over there, but this could be interesting...

Stan

Japan used Stilts to stack their wares in the kiln to save room, Im not saying it's Japanese but more evidence to say it is than not in my opinion.

peterp

Hi Stan, these marks are larger and different in shape from the Japanese ones. And, the color and base is hardly Japanese. Chinese ceramics used only very small stilts from about the Song dynasty onwards. One type I know is circular, the other the shape and size of sesame seeds. Usually they are found on objects with a flat, glazed bottom. However, Chinese ceramics also used larger ones, but those are mostly Tang dynasty or earlier.

Korean items used stilts much more often as Chinese ones and some, like this one, are inside plates, for stacking as you know. Generally said, Korean bottoms were often quite crude throughout, even in the Joseon dynasty. Often there are large ungainly marks inside dishes or tazzas, or kiln grit on the bottom. The seem to have used grit despite using stilts at the same time.