Celadon bowl

Started by jrubio, Dec 26, 2018, 12:39:06

Previous topic - Next topic

jrubio

Hi! I assume that this piece is a Longquan celadon from Song to early Ming dynasties. Can anyone add more information? Thanks!

peterp

Looks basically like a Ming Longquan kiln bowl. But, I would suggest you check the glaze to make sure it is not a fake.
The glaze looks odd, especially in the bottom picture. It looks as if some treatment may have been applied to reduce gloss. That is usuallycommonly done with fakes when their glaze is too shiny.
I would suggest to do some testing. Please check with a magnifier whether the surface could have been treated with some acid substance. (That would look like ice after salt has been sprinkled over it, with tiny holes or white spots.)
If you have a strong magnifier you might check if the bubbles in the glaze are visible.
Or is there something sprayed on the glaze? If the item has been repaired, then it might be from that. If that is the case, some acetone might remove it.

It could also for other reasons look that way. Are there any usage signs like short scratches, etc. visible?

jrubio

Hi Peter! Thanks so much for all your responses. Let me run the suggested tests and get back to you.

jrubio

I can see some short scratches at the bottom of the bowl, not so much on the sides. See image attached.

peterp

They look natural as if from usage. So it is probably all right.

jrubio

Noted! Thanks so much.