Kangxi imari choclat jug

Started by Rec, Dec 15, 2018, 08:42:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Rec

Hi guys
Whats your expert opinion on this unglazed blue overglazed iron red choclat jug? Could it be from kangxi period ?

peterp

Stan, do you think it is Japanese? The decoration does not have a typical Chinese trait, in my opinion.

Stan

This looks like a copy of Chinese Imari.

Rec

thank you guys,
when I receive the package I will make new pictures. perhaps it makes things clearer

Stan

Hi Peter, sorry I missed your question " do you think it is Japanese " if it is, it would have to be new in my opinion.

Rec

the package has not arrived yet and I do not have any new pictures that I can share with you. however, I have come across this jugs that has been auctioned by Christie's. one of the three jugs has a similar decoration as I have bought.at least that seems to me so. what do you think?

www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/three-chinese-imari-cruet-jugs-and-covers-4855363-details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=4855363&sid=aa173920-3750-43c5-a619-0f0f099e3269

Stan

Hi Rec, have you put them side by side to yours, the colors and the white are different, it dose look like yours is a copy of the late Kangxi, also yours dose not have the age signs you normally see on Kangxi porcelain.

Stan

Hi Rec, thanks for the additional photo's, Peter has it right the decoration is all wrong, the buildings themselves are strange, the Japanese also did some of these also but the decoration was top notch, this looks inferior and the buildings in my view did not exist, I am thinking this is a fake. or possibly a chinoiserie.

Rec

What a shame!
Thank you for viewing

peterp

I'm afraid I'm with Stan regarding this. :-)
What I wanted to see is the other side, which looks somewhat better, but here are the details I think are odd.
1. the mountains are painted in an "un-Chinese" manner; 2. there are flowers/blossoms distributed all over (in a landscape I would expect pines, willows, bamboo, etc., but not blossoms); 3. quality is a problem - export is usually of better quality if Imari; 4. see the image below - the walls of that are similar to the castle walls and foundations of some Japanese building types.

Rec

thank you Peter, it is very informative.
I was pretty sure that this was an 18th century Chinese imari-can because the seller is a very trustworthy person and all the items I bought from this person were genunie pieces. in every case so far.
Tomorrow I will post the pictures of 3 new pieces that I recently purchased via the same seller.
hopefully I did not make a big mistake
Greetings, Rec

peterp

Nobody, not even the so-called experts, are able to know all that exists in the world of Far Eastern porcelain.  People are usually specialized only in one are a few segments of the whole range from the early 20th century to about the Sui/Tang dynasties, or in specific types of porcelain.