Ceramic identification

Started by jrubio, Dec 03, 2018, 19:27:47

Previous topic - Next topic

jrubio

Hi! Could anyone help me identifying the two pieces attached. Knowing the meaning (and related dates) of the marks would be great!

peterp

If the bottom two images show the same piece, they are almost sufficient. A side view of the foot might help verify age.
Please upload more images of the top one. One is not enough. And please upload in a separate post.

peterp

The interior decoration of the yellow bowl looks as if it could be from Longquan kiln, but not sure because yellow glazes were not plenty. If it is it might not be from the main kiln.
The age depends on the shape of the foot rim, and for this it is necessary to see the outer shape of the foot rim.  As it is now it could be anything from the Song dynasty to the Ming dynasty.

jrubio

Thanks peterp! I attach here more images of the yellow bowl. I will create a new post for the white ceramic.

jrubio

peterp

Thanks for the additional images. Considering glaze and  foot rim shape I would think either Song or Early Ming. The foot rim shape is not a typical Yuan shape, nor is the glazing.
Again, it could be yellow Longquan ware but possibly not from the main kils. (The Longquan kiln system consisted of the main kiln and a great number of peripheral kilns.

jrubio

Thanks so much for your input! Just one last question, do you know what the writing at the foot may indicate (e.g. authorship, ownership, a short poem, etc)?

peterp

This black writing on the bottom of such bowls is most often encountered on burial ware, although occasionally  it tells whose it was or to whom it was given. I cannot read all characters of this.

jrubio

I actually know that the characters (reading from top to bottom and left to right) means ? - ? - heart - bucket - flower, but I am not sure how to take that...

peterp

That is the problem. The characters you marked with question marks may be essential to understand the overall meaning or purpose of this. The readable characters do not have any meaning, it seems, and are not a name either.