Is these Japanese? Two dishes.

Started by Stobaksov, Nov 06, 2018, 22:29:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Stobaksov

Hello, colleagues. Questions are the same. What country? What is written?
Thank you.

peterp

Looks Japanese, and so does the mark which is ?? (eiraku -- reading might be different depending on person or location).

Stan

This is 20th century 2nd half in my opinion.

Stobaksov

Thank you, gentlemen.
Peterp, what does ?? eiraku mean?

peterp

Mean??The first character means 'eternal', the second 'comfort, ease, music'. The combination appears in various names, both in Japanese and Chinese.

Stan

According to Gotheberg's site it says that Eiraku in Chinese is the same name as the Ming Emperor Yongle 1404 - 1424.

peterp

Yes Stan, in Chinese it reads 'yongle', and it is also the reign name of the first Ming emperor, and possibly some earlier emperor's name, including a Korean one. The Yongle mark is known only from a handful of items, everything else are fakes or apocryphal marks.
As you collect Japanese items you should frequently encounter it on Japanese wares, as it was used by potters there too. This has definitely nothing to do with the Ming dynasty.

Stan

Hi Peter, sorry for the confusion I wasn't saying it is Ming dynasty only that Eiraku shared the same name, but thank you for the better meaning.

peterp

Never mind, Stan. Wikipedia has a long list of people that used 'Eiraku', but it is in Chinese of Japanese. But I just discovered if you search the English Wikipedia it will show some of its usage in Japan.
Consider that as peripheral knowledge that might help in the future.  :-)