Porcelain figure

Started by ssbill, Oct 11, 2018, 13:44:01

Previous topic - Next topic

ssbill

I think this was made in the 50s or 60s. I don't think it is from the first half of the century but it doesn't look new either. What do you think?

ssbill

peterp

Figurines like this one are difficult to date. This one is most likely second quarter of 20th century, or later, judging by the type of gilt used.

ssbill

Hi Peter,
So you think it should be from the republic period? When you say later, do you mean 1950s-1960 or do you mean a brand new copy made to look old? What about the stamped number? Can this help to date it?

peterp

Second half, probably. I do not know exactly when this type of gilt started to be used, but it is prevalent in later ones. And, I think I newer saw dice on any traditional porcelain. You should be aware that there is little information, other than experience, to date 20th century items accurately.

ssbill

thanks peter, I am trying to learn more on 20th century porcelain. I find your comment on the type of gilt very interesting.
Would you say this type of gilt could date from the first half of the century? It is not as shiny and looks painted