Satsuma pot - expected age???

Started by hoogenbosch67, Oct 06, 2018, 00:03:05

Previous topic - Next topic

hoogenbosch67

Stan

I would call this a Satsuma circular lidded box, the Dai Nippon "Great Japan" on the right side leads me to believe Meiji period 1868 - 1912, the left side I think say's Hizen made Sei, I think, maybe someone here can confirm.

peterp

That would probably be ?? (Yasuda), a common Japanese name. There is a horizontal stroke missing. Missing strokes or character abbreviations are commonly found on Japanese marks. There is no character looking like the one here.

(Note: It appears that with Japanese pottery/kilns there were workshops active individually and separate from, but attached to the big main kilns, producing similar wares. In this case it would likely be either the name of such a workshop or the name of an individual craftsman painting this.)

peterp

BTW, this is a drum shape. The protrusions symbolize the nails with which the drum skin is attached to the wooden body. Such traditional drums are still being made and used in the Far East.

Stan

Thanks Peter for the meaning, unfortunately I could not find the name in my books, I can see the drum resemblance.

hoogenbosch67

Wow, thank you for the interesting details and information. Jan

hoogenbosch67

Another magnified photo of the mark