Chinese Four character mark bowl?

Started by calder, Jun 18, 2014, 06:28:13

Previous topic - Next topic

calder

Guangxu?
Thoughts?
Thank you in advance.

Stan

Hi Calder, nice bowl, it looks more Japanese to me than Chinese, the blue color is from the meiji period I think.

peterp

My first impression was also that it could be Japanese. Not sure, though, because of the mark. Basically, this decoration does exist, but it is not this color, normally.
The red mark says Made during the Daoguang years, but this style of mark is apocryphal, it must be much later. I have never seen the mark on Japanese porcelain, they preferred other Chinese marks, originating in the Ming dynasty. So, it looks old, but probably late Qing or early republic.

BTW, if anyone encounters a Daoguang mark on Japanese porcelain, I would be interested to know.

calder

Hi Stan, Peter thank you for your comments.
This was described as Japanese when I bought it.
To me I thought it was Chinese.
Thanks Again

Stan

Hi Peter and Calder, Peter I have never seen a Daoguang mark on Japanese porcelain, however I have seen a several with a Chenghua mark, if I see one I will let you know.

peterp

Stan, the Chenghua mark is one of the those I talked about. I see it frequently on Japanese items, but I don't remember many on Chinese ceramics. The other Ming mark they are very fond of is the Fu (Fuku) mark, but this is not a reign mark.