satsuma vase

Started by Rec, Aug 13, 2018, 20:59:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Rec

hi guys,
could you please give your opinion on this vase.

Stan

Hi Rec, could you post a picture of the whole bottom, thanks.

Rec

hi Stan,
from seller I got this pic.

Stan

Hi Rec, I would have thought this to be at least Meiji but this was turned on a modern potters wheel, 2nd half of the 20th century.
But a very nice decorative vase all hand painted.

Rec

Thanks  Stan,
I agree.
Any idea in which factory is this produced? And  would you spend 20 euros  for this if you was me?
Greetings, Rec

Stan

Hi Rec, 20 euros, isn't much especially if you have a place for it in mind, it is nice piece of art, but I think it will have a low collectors value for a long time, I could not find the mark in any of my books, more than likely a shop mark.

Rec

Thanks Stan, I appreciate your help

Mat

I think the mark reads "Ninsei" (??). He is a very famous Edo period potter, but I agree that this vase is (early?) 20th c in Ninsei style.

Stan

Thanks Mat, Ninsei is in my book, but the mark is so small in my book I need a magnifying glass to see it, but it says that an impressed mark was frequently used on present day pottery, that explains the modern potters wheel, if this would have been authentic it would have been very valuable.

Rec

hi guys,
it's very interesting, because I found on the website of the Metropolitan museum a tea jar with the same nonomura ninsei mark impressed on little potters wheel bottom.