blue and white bowl

Started by Rec, Aug 02, 2018, 02:20:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Rec

Hi all,
Today, second part of my vacation purchases have been delivered. I'm very curious about your expert opinion.

first an unmarked blue and white bowl.
The bowl has a grayish color and about 7 cm high. The bottom diameter is 7 cm and the top appr. 15 cm.
What do you think?
greetings,
Rec

DavidC

Hello Rec
I only can say that I love this bowel.
Curious painting design, (Chinese?).
Lovely shape.
Nice size.
Eminently usable and beautiful!

Best wishes D

Rec

thanks David! I'm not sure about the origin. I saw this flower & spiral decoration on the 19 century Chinese and Vietnamese pieces.  But i hope it's Chinese and bit older :)

peterp

This appears to be a slight modification of the lingzhi pattern, which was made from the early Qing dynasty until the 20th century (until today?). This one looks more like a 20th century version.

Rec

Thank you Peter,
I thougt it might be a little bit older because of the free painting style. 20 century pieces that I saw had a strictly styled decoration
Greetings,
Rec

peterp

Late Qing and earlier ones look different, but this is not the main difference. This is common ware and executed almost too well for that, I would also note that wares of this sort hardly would have a worm back foot rim.

Rec

hi Peter,
if I understand you correctly, you say that the foot rim indicates it 's an imperial bowl, but the decoration says it's a common ware bowl. So it's a fake?
greetings, rec

peterp

No, 20th century does not necessarily mean "late" century or "fake". As I said, bowls with this pattern were even made after the Qing dynasty. Some are republic period.

BTW, producing a worm back foot rim was also done at private kilns at times. But this is a bowl used by the common folks, meaning it would have to be low cost. Doing a rounded foot rim would have meant extra work, and the old Chinese did usually only the minimum for simple wares.
I do not doubt that this process is much simpler because of other tools, nowadays.