Chinese Luohan Statue

Started by Hubsnbubs, Jun 30, 2018, 04:32:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Hubsnbubs

Hi All!

My wife and I have recently acquired the most delightful little statue of what we believe to be a seated Chinese Luohan but this is in no way our area of any expertise, and hoped we might be able to get some help with our research?

It is a glazed and painted figurine of a seated man with patterned robes, holding a bowl in two hands and he measures just over 6" tall.
The base is hollow and quite rough in material and there appears to be a hand painted mark in black on the inside wall but we have been unable to decipher it as yet!

I have attached some pictures below - if anyone would like any more information please do let us know and we will try to help!

Thanks so much in advance,

Chris & Ali

Stan

This is Japanese, early Meiji, this is also known as Gosu blue.

Hubsnbubs

Hi Stan,
Thanks for the reply and info- that makes everything a lot clearer and gives us a good jumping off point!
The hand painted mark inside- would that be the potter or attribute it to a region or maker do you think?

Thanks again for the info,

Chris & Ali

Stan

Hi Chris and Ali, if it is a mark it is illegible as far as I'm concerned, I know that there are seal marks on some Satsuma gosu blue items, you should get this looked at by an expert to authenticate, it looks real to me and I think it might be earlier, late Edo period, Satsuma Gosu blue is highly sought after and can be very expensive, like what you have, the colors look great, if authentic this would be very valuable in my opinion.

Hubsnbubs

Hi Stan,

Thanks so much for the info- that's fascinating stuff!
We have been doing some more digging and can't find another example of a Satsuma figure with that hollowed out base- is that an unusual feature do you think?

We will certainly look to show it to an expert to get it authenticated based on your thoughts - we would love to find out more about the little guy!

Best Wishes!

Chris & Ali

Stan

Yes that is the old japan method, the Chinese did the same on their figurines.

Hubsnbubs

Thanks Stan,

Great - we will let you know how we get on!

Chris & Ali