Rare and Important Vases

Started by Rod Thompson, Jun 26, 2018, 11:54:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Thompson

I recently aquired two vases that I think might be of great importance.
The story goes that Mrs. Cummings-Braga, while on a visit in china during the 1930's, aquired these two vases along with an 18th century Mandarin theatre robe.  Before she passed, she told one of her friends that these two vases were of great importance.  She never wrote anything in regards to the vases, but she did write about The robe because someone asked her to not thinking to have her do the same with the vases.
I have tried the Google Translate App and the chinese writing says, " yuan province 2 vases governor made".  The top description is different and reads, " Fly Away" .
Also I noticed that in the lower script looks like the 5 elements.  When I research about the Yuan province, flower vases, It takes me to the David Vases.  Anyone able to accurately decifer the message, please let me know.  I am on another site and no one has a clue out of 84 visits so far. I had to shrink photo file to one case because the two together was to large.  Also had to change color tone to get them under 400mb.
Thank you for reading this and hope my hunch is correct!

peterp

Hi Rod,
1930s could be about right for the manufacturing time, relying on the 'circumstantial evidence' these vases provide.
First, this would be blanc-de-chine made most likely by Dehua kiln or in Jingdezhen. Shape is later than Qing dynasty. Close inspection may show if it was made by hand or in a mould.
The mark is revealing. The Cihinese is ????, which in today's Pinyin would be read as Haiji duzao, exactly the same as the phonetic writing above the Chinese characters. The words are written in a romanization system (possibly Wade-Giles) that was used prior to 1950 in China.
The second character 'ji' means that it is a shop or store. The whole means that the vases were made for (under supervision of) the business entity named Haiji,  Not a rarity by itself, but the mark is remarkable.

Rod Thompson

Thanks for your time.  I have been researching Into these vases and Mark's for quite some time and have not found these pair of vases anywhere nor a similar mark.
Can you point me In the direction of where i might find the similar items in Question?
Much Appreciated.
Rod

peterp

If it is a little known shop or store mark, then it will usually be difficult as they are more difficult to find. They may only have ordered a limited number and this is not something special. Only the mark written this way is unusual.

Rod Thompson

Here is a picture of the mandarin theater robe.  The written letter talks about it being over 200 years old, and that was in 1930.  The vases and the robe were bought together.  Are you absolutely positive that these vases are not from an earlier period?
I feel that the vases are older than 20th century.  The pics I sent were shrunk, cropped and color changed to fit the forum requirements.  To see them in person would do justice.  I will try and send better images of them.

Rod Thompson

Additional pics, figured out the formatting and added a known piece of Blanc de chine.

peterp

If you want to provide high resolution pictures, you can post them to a cloud service like dropbox, etc. and post the links.