Wood imitation plate

Started by ssbill, Jun 09, 2018, 11:08:36

Previous topic - Next topic

ssbill

This is made of porcelain. It's the first time I've seen a japanese plate like this one. Do you know what it is and how old is it? Thanks

Stan

I have seen this design before, but not exactly sure of age, I would think 2n half of the 20 century, wait unitil you see another one or something similar, I usually see this design on vases.

Mat

This is called "tree bark cloisonne", it is a kind of "Totai Shippo", cloisonne on a ceramic body. I would date it to the late Meiji period.
Bes, Mat

Stan

Thanks Mat, I saw something similar on eBay awhile back with a similar decoration, they were saying theirs was mid 20th thats where I came up with the date, but I did see a tree bark vase with devils that sold for several thousands of dollars but the quality was amazing.

Mat

As far as I know they stopped producing this kind of ware already in early 20th c. It was not very durable and not a big success I guess...

Stan

I can see that, can you imagine serving food on the surface and then trying to clean it afterwards, it would make more sense to have this design on a vase than dishes.