Old Vase ?

Started by Stan, Jun 07, 2018, 02:34:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi Peter, I just won this at an auction, I bought it because of the dead bubbles when viewed with my hand held microscope, this came with other items in the same lot, this is out of my realm of normal collecting, but the dead bubbles made me think it is old, this came from a collection of very fine Chinese antiques and some of the things auctioned sold for lots of money, I hope I got lucky and did not pay to much, I will post 9 photos, 3 of them are microscopic views, The size is 14 cm tall and 17.15 at the widest diameter and it is heavily potted, thanks for all your expertise.

Stan

Here are more photo's.

Stan

Here are the last of the photo's with microscopic views of dead bubbles also I would like to point out that the colors are not a accurate, this has a blueish green color and at the bottom it has pooled and is much thinker and around the neck the glaze has pooled and is much thinker, like the bottom, Im not sure if pooled is the correct term, thanks for your help.

peterp

Stan, dead bubbles are only part of the picture. I guess the fakers soon will find a way to create them too. I won't explain how, but I think there could be a method already, at least in theory. I won't discuss that here in public, in case some people may pick up on this and use it for the wrong purpose.
Anyway, bubbles are just one of several features for deciding age.

peterp

This looks like a celadon jar with lotus leaf lid, but the lid is missing. It may be a copy of Ming Longquan wares, but the bottom does not look Longquan, so probably made by another kiln.. I would think about Ming dynasty.

Stan

Thanks Peter, that is good news, so this would be a jar and not a vase, I wish it came with the lid.